Recent Posts

Archive

Tags

No tags yet.

3 keys to avoiding the emergency vet this Thanksgiving

Welcome to feast mode! Thanksgiving is such a wonderful day to be with our dogs. It just wouldn’t be the same without them. But the holidays can also be a very stressful and potentially dangerous time. Every year, there is an uptick in visits to the emergency vet. Here are 3 ways you can be sure it won’t happen to you. 1. Be Mindful of the food. Distraction or indulgence can put your dog into gastrointestinal distress. Many of the foods we enjoy on Thanksgiving should be avoided. Dogs should not eat: ❌ bones, skin, fatty foods, onions, spices, garlic, grapes, raisins, alcohol, chocolate or even pumpkin pie. ❌ Fatty food can cause pancreatitis. Bones present a choking or intestinal splinting hazard. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Even pumpkin pie could have xylitol, a common sweetener that’s extremely toxic. Keep food out of reach and make sure scraps, along with the garbage are secure. They should be disposed of either in your outdoor trash can or a tightly closed garbage behind a closed door. I know you all want to give your best buddy a Thanksgiving treat, so some great options for sharing can be: ✅ plain turkey meat, plain sweet potatoes, green beans, apples or plain canned pumpkin. ✅ 2. Keep a watchful eye on doors and gates. With guests coming and going and people socializing in and out, it only takes a second for your dog to slip out the door or the front gate. It can be useful to use baby gates to contain your dogs in a safe place, away from the door. It’s also always a good idea, but particularly on days with so many distractions, to have your dog wear their collar with a proper and current ID tag. Should your dog escape, this is the best way for them to be quickly reunited with you. 3. Know what other festive items are potentially hazardous. You may have new decorations, plants or toys around that spark your dogs curiosity. Many festive plants can be toxic including poinsettias, baby’s breath and amaryllis. Keep lights, ornaments, toys, batteries and candles out of reach. We wish you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving! If an emergency does arise, stay calm and take quick action. If you believe your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have or is exhibiting signs they have been poisoned, call your emergency vet immediately. The number for ASPCA Poison Control is: (888)426-4435 and their website is https://www.aspca.org/. Access Urgent Care Clinic will be CLOSED this Thanksgiving 11/25 & Friday 11/26. https://www.myaccessvetcare.com/ Blue Pearl, Golden Valley’s number is: (763)529-6560 and their website is https://bluepearlvet.com/hospital/golden-valley-mn/.